Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Blog the Blogger: D.C. Celine



"Federal contractor by day, aspiring "It Girl" by night, trying to save the world one outfit at a time." - That's D.C. Celine's tagline...don't you love it? This fashion blogger manages to do it all: work, family, fabulousness. And she's not afraid to put herself and her own fashion foibles out there for the masses to muse upon. Plus she manages to get readers to write in for advice. I'm, like, so jealous. So, of course, I just had to have her as a part of Blog the Blogger. Forthwith, D.C. Celine's answers to the DCGF's soon-to-be Famous Five (plus One) questions...

1. What is the first article of clothing you remember that you loved to wear? Easy. My "Cheerios" outfit. Smack in the middle of the stylish 70s, it was a polyester print combo. Pants and vest, in chocolate brown with little oatmeal-colored "cheerios." I'm hoping and wishing that my mom still has it - I heard from my stepdad that she's been digging out my old clothes for my now 7-month-old Bean. I'd LOVE it if she could sport my Cheerios. (Talk about reliving youth through the next generation.)

2. We all know Goodwill is amazing, but where is your
other favorite place to shop for a fashion bargain in the DC area? Chevy Chase/Friendship Heights. Wit
h the combo of Filene's, TJ Maxx, Loehmann's, and the (very) occasional find at Steinmart, there are lots of choices. True, true, you have to root through the racks, which means time-starved folks can't count on finding things, but it's worth it, if you have the time. And if you can't find there, well, then you can say "screw the bargain," and hit the new Bloomie's or Nieman Marcus.

3. Where is your favorite place to shop for
a fashion bargain outside of DC? Malena's, in historic West Chester, PA. I'm disguising this as a plug for a childhood friend of my lil' sis, but owner Malena has a fantastic eye for vintage, and doesn't charge an arm and a leg for it. I've scored a gorgeous big brown alligator clutch and a retro daisy choker, both of which need to be broken out soon...

4. Who is your current favorite designer? Oh dear. I have to pick one? I suppose the obvious choice is Michael Kors. He's the first designer, other than the ridiculously obvious Chanel, I recognized on screen (his at-the-time Celine line clothed Rene Russo's character in Thomas Crown Affair - and it's where DC Celine got her name). I stayed to the end of the credits to see if I was right - and I was. I still love his simple, elegant lines and attention to detail and form. The first "designer" piece I ever owned was a spring coat from his KORS by Michael Kors line...mommy bought it for me ages ago, and it still is serving well. I could wear just about anything he ever designs. A favorite for this summer? This safari shirtdress. [Also see right.] Effortless - and I love that minis are here for a while.

5. If you could own any single item from fashion past or present - money is no object! - what would it be?
The dress in my head. For my junior prom, I was dying to have a flowy, 1940s-Rita Hayworth-Fay-Wray-inspired gown. I searched the vintage (at the time, we just called them consignment or thrift) stores for it, to no avail. I ended up with a Cinderella-style pink gown instead...loved it, but my dream was shattered.

But then my dream actually came true - and I didn't realize it right away. After trying on what was probably 100 dresses, in every style from Elizabeathan Reem Acra to simple Priscilla of Boston, I settled on a ivory silk cowl-necked Lynn Lugo sheath for my June 2006 wedding. At one of my fittings, I realized I was going to get married in my prom dress dream. It was apparently well chosen. I received more compliments on that dress than I could've imagined.

Now I just have to find a place to wear it again. Black tie event, anyone? [the DCGF: Wear it to the Goodwill Bridal Sale. Why? Just 'cause.]

Bonus Question: How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Roll center of a Tootsie Pop?
I have absolutely no idea. I'm waaaaaay too impatient to find out. I've tried. No dice.

D.C. Celine you are awesome! I, too, (heart) Michael Kors, especially since he makes clothes that fits all body shapes and sizes. But mini skirts? I'll have to pass...


No comments: