Monday, April 21, 2008

Home Sweet Designer-Clad Home



I have admit a certain pang of jealousy when I discovered that my friend in college (who had the cool dorm room with the built in kitchenette) had replaced all of his standard-issue white sheets with Calvin Klein bedding. Being the home furnishings novice that I was - I believe She-Ra sheets had still been in heavy rotation on my bed throughout high school - the world of designer bedding, towels, and furniture was still a new thing to me.

I mean
, sure, I knew that Guess made robes and stuff with the tiny triangles on it, but who knew that I could get my teapot from Calvin and, more recently, my side table from Giorgio Armani? Heck, even Marc Jacobs jumped on the bandwagon, collaborating with Waterford on beautiful items for the tabletop. Forthwith, a few a my favorites and their sartorial counterparts. Then, my wish list of designers and the objects for the home I'd love to see them create.

Calvin Klein's dinnerware exhibits a sparse modernity that is readily apparent in all of the brand's clothes. The clean lines and simple designs are reminiscent of the designers accessories: bold yet understated, classic yet modern, luxurious yet accessible. Notice how the inside of the bowl reflects the light in the same way the sides of the open-toe pumps do? Both would look perfect in a home full of warm earth tones and cool stainless steel accents.

Plus, Klein's home collection is relatively affordable. The rice bowl in this collection starts at just $10 and the mug will set you back on $11.25. And - if you're astute about your shopping choices - you can often find these collections on sale. Not so for the next two...

Marc Jacobs' on the other hand is more often on the cutting edge of fashion, a harbinger of what every other wannabe designer will be copying for seasons to come. He's unafraid to experiment with color, texture, fabric, and exaggerated silhouettes, which is why his Jean Footed Decanter for Waterford is such a perfect accompaniment to his silver lurex skirt!

Think about it: both have linear graphic detail and lend a bit
of an edge to a more traditional look. And both are incredibly expensive: $400 for the decanter and $995 for the skirt. I recommend you get both.

And how about Armani/Casa? Giorgio's foray into the home furnishings department hasn't been quite as interesting, in my humble opinion, but his current collection features the Tommy "G" and "A" tables, which I think are just smashing, especially if either of those happen to be your own initials. Oh wait! "G" is for Goodwill! Do you think I could write off the $735 plus shipping as a reasonable business expense? Maybe if it was in blue...

I'd like to think the tables' dark brown lacquer finish could have been inspired by the men's brown woven leather
jacket to the right. It probably wasn't, but the model is adorable, no? Si.

And now for the designers I like to see in home furnishings and the products at which they'd excel:




1. Viktor & Rolf: shower curtains








2. John Galliano for Christian Dior: ceiling fans







3. Junya Watanabe: mini-blinds







4. Betsey Johnson: feather dusters







5. Thom Browne: oven mitts



No comments: