Friday, April 18, 2008

Message in a Furla



Have I recently mentioned my search for a crossbody bag? You might think it no big deal,
after all, so many current handbags from the likes of Marc Jacobs, Gryson, Chloe had dangling shoulder straps, they must be there for something, right?
Well, if what I wanted was a satchel attached at my hip, or in some cases, my boob then there were plenty of choices. But, what I wanted was an un-messenger bag. A bag that sat comfortably at my hip and looked like it was meant to. Nothing square and book-baggish, I wanted soft and slouchy. The Anna Corrina City Tote as featured here (believe it or not over a year ago) in super-jumbo-extra-large was close, but it was so big, that it could have doubled as a wrap skirt.
And then, in my weekly walk through Bloomingdales, there it was, hanging from a soft shoulder strap, canvas strap hanging from a pair of silver toned loops....
it was almost perfect...The Furla Elisabeth.

It was exactly what I had been searching for, if you take away the embossed croc, and the fact that the other choices, while grained leather were lilac, geranium red, and an awful toffee color.
But the good parts: The strap was long enough for the bag to hit anywhere from low hip, to my waist (hooray for adjustable straps!). The inside was big enough, the close was magnetic for easy access, the handles were short enough that they didn't interfere with anything, and it was perfectly soft and slouchy. Oddly enough, it is the sort of triangular hobo I might have otherwise overlooked, especially given the colors, were it not for the shoulder strap.

So, I did what any girl in this web-based world might do. I went online and searched for the bag in black, beige, even grey...something versatile and if not Spring-y, then I wanted all-season.
Black, was easy (it also comes in a rainbow of embossed croc, and linen) but then I saw this metallic.

Not as shiny as bright silver or gold, it is metallic, but still muted. It is definitely versatile for most anything, and softer than black or grey would be.
It is the perfect all day bag that won't fall off my shoulder, weigh down my wrist, or take up a hand (and with a 2 year old who hates the stroller - as if there was something bad about being pushed around in your own shaded lounge chair, it even has a cup holder - I need my hands free).
The embossed croc comes in honey, orange and purple for $555, and the metallic, AKA moon, is $450. Both are available online from Lord and Taylor.

No comments: